Preschool Lead Teacher
|Duration||Begins August 26, 2019|
|Position Type||Part-time (afternoons)|
|Additional Details||Starting at $18.00/hour. Varies with education and experience.|
Dodge Nature Preschool
1715 Charlton Street, West St. Paul, MN 55118
Dodge Nature Preschool operates as part of the Dodge Nature Center, which is located on 320 acres in West Saint Paul, Minnesota. Grounds include woodlands, prairie, ponds, wetlands, and a model farm with animals, gardening program, a greenhouse, apple orchard, maple syrup making facility, and apiary. A state-of-the-art preschool building provides education in three classrooms. The spacious classrooms include kitchens, teacher offices, plumbed water tables, plants and animals, and many windows offering views of the Nature Center grounds. Doors from the classrooms lead to a large
playground that has exits to Nature Center trails. Class size is 18 three, four and five year olds. Classes are team-taught by two Lead Teachers and one Assistant Teacher. Dodge Nature Preschool follows an emergent curriculum with a social-constructivist approach.
– Implement curriculum based on current best practices in early childhood education. (Constructivist approach, inquiry-based learning, Reggio Emilia approach.)
– Maintain an attractive, functional, appropriate learning environment.
– Develop and deliver programming including long-range planning and well-prepared daily activities with special attention to nature education.
– Track the development of individual children, assess needs, and plan based on those needs.
– Maintain relationships with parents.
– Supervise educational assistants, interns, and other members of the classroom teaching team.
– Work with Dodge Nature Center Naturalists to provide activities for the preschool children on Dodge Nature Center grounds.
– Play an active role in the operation of the preschool through weekly planning and training meetings and events, in-service training, participation in interview teams, policy discussions, and writing assignments. Participate in the process of seeking and maintaining NAEYC accreditation.
– Take part in professional development opportunities locally, statewide and nationally as appropriate. Maintain membership in NAEYC or other appropriate professional organizations. Read literature on current trends or related topics.
– Participate in leading presentations and workshops as the opportunity arises.
– Adhere to the code of Ethics of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Qualifies as teacher as per MN Rule 3; BA in ECE or related field. Masters degree preferred.
– Extensive knowledge and experience in early childhood education, including a college degree in ECE, Child Development or a related field.
– Experience teaching preschool in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate program.
– Experience in a NAEYC accredited program or commitment to working towards achieving accreditation
– Experience or education in environmental education or commitment to learning about appropriate early childhood nature education.
– Experience working with the Reggio Emilia approach or familiarity of this approach desirable.
– Sensitivity to children’s learning styles and ability to communicate clearly and positively with parents.
– Ability to develop collaborative team relationships and problem solve.
– Ability to appropriately supervise assistant teachers, and interns.
– Ability to use technology to support documentation of children’s work.
– Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends for in-service training and events.
This position requires active participation with children up to 6 hours per day in the classroom, playground, and throughout the Nature Center.
How to Apply
This position is currently open until filled. Send your resume and cover letter to Ms. Marty Watson, Preschool Director by email email@example.com or by mail:
Dodge Nature Preschool
Attn. Marty Watson
1715 Charlton Street
West Saint Paul, MN 55118