Preschool Lead Teacher – School Year (Part-time)
|Duration||August 28, 2023–June 7, 2024
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Occasional evenings and weekends required
|Position Type||Part-time, Nonexempt|
|Additional Details||Compensation: starting at $19-$22/hour, varies by education and experience|
Dodge Nature Preschool
1715 Charlton Street, West St. Paul, MN 55118
Dodge Nature Preschool seeks a part-time Lead Teacher to be part of the school year teaching team in fulfilling the school’s mission of meeting children’s developmental needs while initiating them into a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world.
Dodge Nature Preschool follows an emergent curriculum with a social-constructivist approach. Dodge Nature Preschool operates as part of the Dodge Nature Center; grounds include woodlands, prairie, ponds, wetlands, a model farm with animals, community gardening program, a greenhouse, apple orchard, maple syrup making facility, and bee apiary. A state-of-the-art preschool building with three outdoor/indoor classrooms provides early childhood nature education throughout the seasons. Class size is 18 three-, four- and five-year-olds with three teachers.
Dodge Nature Center and Preschool is for everyone. As stewards of the land, we create and foster a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment where all can nourish their need for nature. We listen to, honor, and learn from the lived experiences and feedback of all to create a space where everyone feels welcome. Providing access to environmental education and experiences in nature is essential to Dodge Nature Center and Preschool’s mission, vision, and values. As educators, we are committed to staying curious, challenging our status quo, and changing in ways that facilitate greater diversity, equity, and inclusion.
– Implement emergent curriculum using a constructivist, inquiry-based, and Reggio Emilia approach.
– Maintain an attractive, functional, appropriate learning environment.
– Develop and deliver programming including long-range planning and well-prepared daily activities with special attention to nature education.
– Track the development of individual children, assess needs, and plan based on those needs, including collaborating with outside professionals like school district personnel.
– Interact with children to encourage positive self-concept and enthusiasm for the discovery process and ask open-ended questions.
– Develop and maintain appropriate working relationships with other staff members and parents.
– Supervise educational assistants, interns, and other members of the classroom teaching team.
– Work with Dodge Nature Center naturalists to provide activities for the preschool children on nature center grounds.
– Play an active role in the operation of the preschool through weekly planning and training meetings, events, and in-service training.
– Take part in professional development opportunities locally and nationally as appropriate.
– Adhere to the code of Ethics of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
– Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Knowledge
– Qualifies as an assistant teacher per MN Rule 3.
– Bachelor’s degree or higher in early childhood education, child development, elementary education, or related field.
– Experience in a NAEYC accredited program or commitment to working towards achieving accreditation.
– Experience or education in environmental education or commitment to learning about appropriate early childhood nature education.
– Experience working with the Reggio Emilia approach or familiarity of this approach desirable.
– Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Required Skills & Abilities
– Sensitivity to children’s learning styles and ability to communicate clearly with parents.
– Ability to develop collaborative team relationships and problem solve.
– Ability to appropriately supervise assistant teachers, volunteers, and interns.
– Ability to use technology to support documentation of children’s work.
– Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends for training and events.
Required Physical Activity
– Active participation with children up to six hours per day in the classroom, playground, and throughout the nature center.
– Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs to waist level.
Dodge Nature Center and Preschool is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants and staff to bring their diverse perspectives, skills and experiences to Dodge. We commit to fostering an inclusive, welcoming work environment for all employees.
How to Apply
Application deadline: open until filled. Please send cover letter and resume to:
Amy Warzybok, Preschool Director
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers
1715 Charlton Street
West St. Paul, MN 55118