Preschool Assistant Teacher
Application Deadline: Sunday, June 30, 2019 or until filled. Dodge Nature Preschool seeks an Assistant Teacher to be part of the team. This position will meet children’s developmental needs, while initiating them into a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world.
|Duration||Year-round (Start date: August 19, 2019)|
|Additional Details||Starting at $15.00/hour. Benefits include health and dental insurance stipend, paid holidays and vacation days plus additional benefit opportunities.|
Dodge Nature Preschool
1715 Charlton Street, West St. Paul, MN 55118
Dodge Nature Preschool operates as part of the Dodge Nature Center, which is located on 320 acres in West Saint Paul, Minnesota. Grounds include woodlands, prairie, ponds, wetlands, a model farm with animals, gardening program, a greenhouse, apple orchard, maple syrup making facility, and apiary. A state-of-the-art preschool building provides education in three classrooms. The spacious rooms include kitchens, teacher offices, plumbed water tables, plants and animals, and many windows offering views of the Nature Center grounds. Doors from the classrooms lead to a large playground that has exits to Nature Center trails. Class size is 18 three and four year olds and is team taught by two lead teachers and one assistant.
1. Assist teaching preschool classes for children, ages three through five.
A. Assist teachers in carrying out educational program:
• Supervise children in work and play;
• Facilitate small group activities such as cooking and science activities;
• Lead whole group experiences such as reading a story;
• Supervise children on the playground;
• Supervise children in activities on the Nature Center grounds;
• Assume the role of teacher with the assistance of a substitute in the
absence of the lead teacher.
B. Interact with children to encourage positive self-concept and enthusiasm for
the discovery process:
• Ask open-ended questions;
• Wait for children to make discoveries before providing information;
• Assist children in cooperative work;
• Keep expectations of children developmentally and individually
• Provide limits for children and handle discipline issues as opportunities
for learning rather than punishment for misdeeds.
C. Prepare and care for the classroom and playground:
• Prepare snack trays and food for the classroom and clean up kitchen
area after each session;
• Wash art materials and other equipment after class sessions;
• Tidy centers in preparation for the next session of children;
• Set out playground equipment;
• Gather equipment and supplies and return them to the proper place
2. Develop and maintain appropriate working relationship with other staff members
A. Attend meetings:
• Classroom team meetings;
• Whole staff meetings;
• Parent open houses and other special events.
B. Work with other members of the teaching team:
• Other assistant teachers
C. Interact with parents:
• Answer appropriate questions and refer those which should be
answered by others;
• Ensure that conversations with parents or other adults do not interfere
with supervision of children;
• Keep issues of confidentiality in mind.
D. Other duties as assigned.
Qualified as teacher assistant as per Rule 3, Minnesota State Licensing.
•Coursework in early childhood education, child development, or related field, or
related experience working with young children in an educational setting, or
• Coursework or experience in environmental education development, or related
field in an educational setting.
• Qualified as an Assistant Teacher as per Rule 3 Minnesota Licensing.
• Experience working in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate preschool
or commitment to learning about appropriate early childhood education practices.
• Coursework or commitment to learning about appropriate early childhood nature
Ability to take primary responsibility for a group of 8 children.
• Sensitivity to the needs, abilities, and vulnerabilities of children.
• Sensitivity to the feelings of other adults.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including the occasional evenings and weekends
required for parent meetings, in-service training, and other activities.
• This position requires active participation with children up to 6 hours per day in
the classroom, playground, and throughout the Nature Center.
• Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs. to waist level.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply is Sunday, June 30, 2019 or until filled. Send your resume and cover letter to Ms. Marty Watson, Preschool Director by email email@example.com or by mail:
Dodge Nature Preschool
Attn. Marty Watson
1715 Charlton Street
West Saint Paul, MN 55118