An event every week at 8:15am on Thursday, starting September 24, 2020 and repeating until October 8, 2020
Let’s get off screen, out into the forest and down to the beehives! Throughout each Outdoor Learning Day, students will capture the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of nature. Students will receive their own nature journal to sketch, record observations, and take measurements in the orchard and apiary. Hands-on, minds-on activities will energize the inner learner of each child every week. You'll learn, explore and play the Dodge Nature Center way!
Outdoor Learning Days are a series of programs for children in Grades 1-2 and Grades 3-5, similar to camps. Due to the COVID-19, this fall many schools are operating in a hybrid or distance learning model. When students are not attending school in-person, Outdoor Learning Days at Dodge Nature Center will offer enrichment and excitement in the outdoor classroom.
There are two three-week series offered for each grade group:
Grades 1-2: Tuesday Series (September 22, September 29, and October 6)
Grades 1-2: Thursday Series (September 24, October 1, and October 8)
Grades 3-5: Tuesday Series (September 22, September 29, and October 6)
Grades 3-5: Thursday Series (September 24, October 1, and October 8)
1. Fill out the Student Registration Form. This form contains important information such as emergency contacts and health concerns.
2. Select one series (listed above) and complete payment on the bottom of the page. Payment is only required once for one series.
Please only register your child for one series. This ensures equal opportunity for as many kids as possible to experience this program.
COVID-19 Safety: Dodge Nature Center is committed to providing high-quality environmental education while ensuring the health and safety of everyone involved. We have established the following safety guidelines:
- Physical distancing of at least 6 feet will be incorporated into activities both indoors and out.
- Students are required to wear face masks for all indoor activities and any outdoor activities where distancing of 6 ft. cannot be maintained.
- Groups of students onsite will coordinate to use separate facilities and conduct separate activities.
- Whenever possible, activities will be held outdoors, and students will spread out around the nature center.
- Any high contact area, such as bathrooms, will have their touchable surfaces disinfected after use by a group. Groups will use the bathrooms and hand-washing areas one at a time in succession.
- Frequent handwashing with soap and water will be required. Hand sanitizer and disinfecting supplies will also be available.
Check-in and check-out: To ensure the health and safety of students and their families, the following procedures have been established for drop-off and pick-up:
- Drop-off will begin promptly at 8:15 am and end at 8:30 am. Adults dropping off children will remain in their vehicle in the drop-off loop. One staff will check in your child and record their temperature via infrared thermometer, their responses to wellness questions, and persons authorized for pick-up at 3:00 pm.
- Students who are healthy will be sent to their group leaders.
- Pick-up will begin promptly at 3:00 pm and end at 3:15 pm. Adults picking up children will remain in their vehicle and sign for their child.
Staffing: Your child will be safe with highly trained naturalists and volunteers. All programs will maintain a 2 to 8 ratio of staff to campers.
Weather: Programs will not be cancelled due to inclement weather; activities will be adjusted for the safety of the children. Always dress your child to be comfortable in forecasted weather conditions.
Zero Tolerance: Dodge Nature Center has the right to dismiss a student without a refund for violating the no tolerance policy for physical and verbal violence. Dodge must remain a safe and friendly environment for all of our students and staff.
Fees to Avoid: Cancellation requests must be made at least one week prior to the start of the program to qualify for a refund. All cancellations include a $50 processing fee per program. No transfers are permitted. *There is a $5 dollar late charge each 15 minutes after check-out ends at 3:15 p.m.