Looking for a new hobby to liven up your time at home? Already a painter but want to practice your skills? Participate in a live virtual nature painting session via YouTube! This comprehensive tutorial will include tips for all aspects of painting, from color mixing to finishing touches, that will make your art come alive. No matter what your experience level is, you’ll have a blast painting and learning about some of our favorite subjects in nature.
This month, you’ll encounter one of Minnesota's year-round residents, the black-capped chickadee! Learn about how these hearty, little birds spend this challenging season as you create a cheerful winter painting.
This program is for adults, 16+. This is an acrylic painting course; acrylic paint can stain clothing, so make sure your workspace is protected and you wear a paint shirt or apron.
Materials kits from Dodge are not offered for this program. $20 includes access to the live virtual program, a downloadable PDF of the painting outline, and instructions.
Materials you will need:
- Canvas (11x14 is recommended)
- Palette or another surface for mixing your paint colors
- Acrylic paints: red, yellow, blue, black, and white
- Paintbrushes: an inexpensive variety pack labeled for acrylic paint
- Carbon transfer paper for tracing your outline (optional)
- Pencil for tracing your outline
- Water cup for rinsing brushes
- Paper towel or rag for drying brushes
- Smock, apron, or any clothing you don't mind getting paint on (acrylic paint will stain clothing
Once you register, you will receive an email the morning of the program with the link to the live virtual program, a downloadable PDF of the painting outline, and instructions on how to tune in and interact with the naturalists the evening of the program.