Preschool Substitute Teacher (Part-time)
|Flexible, part-time position with variable hours based on need.
|Compensation: $15.00–$17.00/hour, based on education and experience
Dodge Nature Preschool
1715 Charlton Street, West St. Paul, MN 55118
Dodge Nature Preschool seeks a Substitute Teacher to be part of the teaching team in fulfilling our mission of meeting children’s developmental needs while initiating them into a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world.
Dodge Nature Preschool follows an emergent curriculum with a social-constructivist approach. Dodge Nature Preschool operates as part of the Dodge Nature Center; grounds include woodlands, prairie, ponds, wetlands, and a model farm with animals, gardening program, a greenhouse, apple orchard, maple syrup making facility, and bee apiary. A state-of-the-art preschool building with three outdoor/indoor classrooms provide early childhood nature education throughout the seasons. Class size is 18–20 three-, four- and five-year-olds with three teachers.
Dodge Nature Center and Preschool is for everyone. As stewards of the land, we create and foster a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment where all can nourish their need for nature. We listen to, honor, and learn from the lived experiences and feedback of all to create a space where everyone feels welcome. Providing access to environmental education and experiences in nature is essential to Dodge Nature Center and Preschool’s mission, vision, and values. As educators, we are committed to staying curious, challenging our status quo, and changing in ways that facilitate greater diversity, equity, and inclusion.
– Assist teachers in carrying out our seasonal and nature-inspired educational program.
– Supervise children in classrooms, on the playground, and during hiking field trips.
– Interact with children to encourage positive self-concept and enthusiasm for the discovery process through open-ended questions.
– Maintain developmentally appropriate expectations and learning opportunities for young children.
– Prepare and care for the classroom and playground.
– Maintain appropriate working relationship with other staff members and parents.
Required Education & Certification
– Qualified as teacher assistant as per Rule 3, Minnesota State Licensing.
– Coursework in early childhood education, child development, or related field, or related experience working with young children in an educational setting preferred.
– Certified in Pediatric CPR & First Aid or ability to obtain this before employment.
Required Skills & Abilities
– Ability to take primary responsibility for a group of 6–7 children.
– Sensitivity to the needs, abilities, and vulnerabilities of children.
– Sensitivity to the feelings of other adults.
– Excellent communication skills.
Required Physical Activity
– Active participation with children up to six hours per day in the classroom, playground, and throughout the nature center.
– Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs to waist level.
Dodge Nature Center and Preschool is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants and staff to bring their diverse perspectives, skills and experiences to Dodge. We commit to fostering an inclusive, welcoming work environment for all employees.
How to Apply
Application deadline: Friday, August 25. Please send cover letter and resume to:
Amy Warzybok, Preschool Director
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers
1715 Charlton Street
West St. Paul, MN 55118